Welcome to Cub Scout Pack 454 in El Dorado Hills, California!
We are part of the El Dorado District of the Golden Empire Council based in Sacramento, California. The pack is primarily made up of boys from Silva Valley, Oak Meadow, and William Brooks Elementary schools, though first through fifth grade boys throughout El Dorado Hills are welcome. Pack 454 has been serving boys in scouting since we were chartered in the mid-1960s by St. Stephens Lutheran Church in El Dorado Hills.
Pack 454 Philosophy
Fun with a Purpose: Our goal is to have a fun outdoor-oriented program through which scouts can perform community service, acquire outdoor skills, learn leadership, demonstrate scout values, and earn rank advancement.
- Community Service: We support our charter organization, St. Stephens Lutheran Church, with food bank donations collected at our pack meetings. We also help our participating elementary schools with clean-up projects, support local charities with service projects, and participate in the annual Veterans Day Parade in Folsom.
- Outdoor Skills Introduction: We try to get the boys outside as much as possible. Older Scouts have opportunities to participate on overnight trips include car camping in interesting locations and resident summer camp. Day activities include hiking, biking, bowling, horseback riding, and more!
- Leadership and Life Skills: The scouts learn leadership as they advance through the program. Older Scouts are given more responsibility as they demonstrate their ability to lead. Skills like communication, responsibility, accountability, coordination, and managing a small group of younger Scouts are a key part of Cub Scouts, as we prepare the next generation to lead the country.
- Scout Values: We expect scouts and scout families to adhere to the values expressed in the Scout motto and oath. This creates a positive and supportive environment for all involved in the scouting program.
- Rank Advancement: The boys earn rank advancement in the program by participating in both pack and den activities.
Scouting Prepares Kids For Life
For over a century, scouting has helped build the future leaders of this country by combining educational activities and lifelong values with fun. Scouts learn both fun and valuable lessons that will build character and help them progress in scouting and in life.
The 10 purposes of Cub Scouting
- Character Development
- Spiritual Growth
- Good Citizenship
- Sportsmanship and Fitness
- Family Understanding
- Respectful Relationships
- Personal Achievement
- Friendly Service
- Fun and Adventure
- Preparation for Boy Scouts!
More on "Why Scouting?" from the Boy Scouts of America can be found here.
The Scout Oath
On my honor, I will to my best
to do my duty to God and my country,
to obey the Scout Law,
to help other people at all times,
and to keep myself physically strong, mentally awake, and morally straight.
The Scout Law
- A scout is:
Pack, Den, and Committee Meetings
Pack 454 boys are grouped into dens based on their grade. Whenever possible, boys are placed in a den with others from their school. Den meetings are scheduled one to three times per month throughout the community. Our monthly pack meeting is typically scheduled the second Thursday of each month and is held at Silva Valley Elementary School (3001 Golden Eagle Lane, El Dorado Hills).
Our Pack Committee meets monthly on the fourth Thursday at 7 pm at our Charter Organization St. Stephens Lutheran Church (1001 Olson Ln in El Dorado Hills). Our meetings are open to the public and parents are welcome to attend.
A number of fun annual events are scheduled for the pack including the Pinewood Derby, Raingutter Regatta, District Day Camp, Summer Resident Camp, and Mountain Adventure Day. Check with us for dates and times!
The Cub Scout uniform is a key part of the scouting experience. Pack 454 requires the rank appropriate Class A Cub Scout uniform: A scout shirt, neckerchief, slide, and hat. Scout pants are optional. We also have a troop Class B tee shirt for activities, which can be purchased at most pack activities. Please click Join Us for information on how to purchase your uniform.
Youth Protection and Parent/Family Participation
Youth Protection: We are very concerned about protecting youth from harm and follow all Boy Scouts of America policies to have a safe program. Both youth and adults are expected to be trained and follow youth protection guidelines.
Parent and Family Participation:Our program is open to parent and family involvement and we encourage parents to help run the pack. We are an all-volunteer organization and more hands lighten the load. We also find boys whose parents are involved in the program get more out of it.
We would love for your boy(s) to join Pack 454! To learn how, please click on Join Us.
We invite parents and boys in first through fifth grade who are interested in joining Pack 454 to attend a pack meeting to see what it is like first-hand. You can also pick up a membership packet at a pack meeting.
In addition, here are some steps:
- Contact our recruitment leader at email@example.com to express interest in joining and get a den assignment.
- Complete the Youth Application which can be found in the membership packet.
- Pay the annual dues (see notes in the "Pack Handbook" below).
- Talk to your den leader about book and uniform requirements. Some den leaders may have extra books or uniform parts to share. Other items can be purchased at River City Scout Shop in Sacramento (click Links for more) or online from Scout Stuff.
Please use these documents to find out more about scouting and Pack 454!
Lots More To Explore!
Feel free to use the following links to explore scouting. Be sure to join us at a pack meeting. We look forward to meeting you!
- Boy Scout Youth Protection
- River City Scout Shop
- Golden Empire Council
- St. Stephens Lutheran Church